Summarization of events written by the Veteran X Team.
- An official Air Force press release released Tuesday buried the gruesome claim that there had been an intelligence tip that five people on an airliner intended to hijack the plane during the August evacuation in Afghanistan.
- On Friday, Lt. Col Kristen Duncan of 23rd Air Wing Public Affairs assured that, “the situation was handled,” without clarifying that there was no hijacking attempt to begin with.
- CENTCOM spokesman John Rigsbee said there was no hijacking attempt and there was confusion that contributed to how the information was made public.
- “During the evacuation mission in Afghanistan, there was never an attempt to hijack a plane at Hamad Karzai International Airport,” Rigsbee said in a statement to the Military Times.
- “During the evacuation mission in Afghanistan, an insider pointed out the possibility of a conspiracy to hijack a certain commercial flight preparing to depart from the airport,” he said, confirming the original story that an insider was the possibility of an observed kidnapping.
- But unlike in the original news release, Urban did in fact clarify that the tip was false and that there was no hijacking attempt that needed to be dealt with.
Sourced from: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2021/10/15/air-force-scrubbed-hijacking-claim-from-news-release-after-centcom-disputed-story/
Information vetted by the Veteran X Team.