On August 10, President Biden signed the PACT Act into law. This bill will help millions of Veterans and their survivors, but scammers are now targeting them for their benefits.
Tips to Avoid PACT Act Scammers
Scammers are taking advantage of new opportunities to commit fraud. There’s been an increase in PACT Act-related phishing (email), vishing (phone), and social media scams targeting Veterans to access their PACT Act benefits or submit claims on their behalf.
Veterans should be cautious of anyone who guarantees a lucrative financial benefit or service. To report suspected fraudulent activity, please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 488-8244.
Protect yourself against new scams and scammers with these tips:
- Do not provide personal, benefits, medical, or financial details online or over the phone. Federal agencies will not contact you unless you make a request.
- Do not click on online ads or engage with social media that seem suspicious.
- Check for “https://” at the start of website addresses.
- Enable multi-factor authentication on all accounts.
- Work with Veteran service providers you already know.
- Submit any suspected fraud to ftc.gov.
How to Apply for PACT Act Benefits
The PACT Act extends VA health care eligibility for Veterans with toxic exposures and Veterans of the Vietnam, Gulf War, and Post-9/11 (Post-September 11, 2001) eras. It also expands benefits eligibility for Veterans exposed to toxic substances and their survivors.
We want Veterans and survivors to apply now for their PACT Act-related benefits. You can learn more and sign up at www.va.gov/PACT, or call us at 1-800-MyVA411 (1-800-698-2411).
If you need help applying for benefits, VA, accredited representatives, and Veteran Service Officers are always standing by and ready to help. There’s no cost for the forms, no fees to apply, and VA will never charge Veterans for processing a claim.
Visit the Cybercrime Support Network for additional resources to help Veterans, service members, and their families combat cybercrime.
Sourced from: https://news.va.gov/107732/be-vigilant-of-pact-act-scammers/
Information vetted by the Veteran X Team.